Scary Moment! Miss Paisley was sitting on the couch next to me as I'm working on the computer (um
ok watching last nights episode of dancing with the stars on
abc.com) She kept saying something over and over that sounded like, "e-
ick". Raven figured out she wanted a cheese stick. Next thing I know she's gagging next to me! The last bit of the cheese stick had slid down her throat and she was choking! I stuck my finger in her mouth and could feel it in her throat, I screamed, "She's choking!" as I swept my finger down her throat thinking I may need to tip her upside down, then captured that slippery cheese stick as my heart was racing! Scared me half to death! I was so
grateful that I was right next to her when it happened and was cursing myself as a parent for the times I let her walk around the house with cheese stick in her hand! What if she would have been downstairs with the kids and I wasn't near her and the kids didn't notice she was choking??? You tend to be more lax with the 3rd child and this was a
wake up call. I did the
Heimlich on Raven a couple times when she was young. Once was on her 1st birthday when she got some plastic wrap off of a tape in her mouth and was gagging and I tipped her upside down while hitting her and she threw up all over! Another time was when she was in her high chair
eating green beans laughing at her brother when she started choking, I whipped her out of her chair and tipped her again while hitting her, cursing that she was strapped in the high chair and it took me awhile to get her out. Anyone else have any scary choking moments??
3 comments:
OMG, I was driving in my car, Taylor was about 3 or 4. She had a candy cane and was sitting in her car seat in the back seat and choked on it. I was in the fast lane, swerved over 4 lanes, by the time I pulled over I was crying hysterically and she was crying cuz I was crying and she had spit it out. I called mom crying and freaking out. She was fine. After that, no hard candy. She would tell anyone who tried to give her hard candy, I can’t have it, you can choke on hard candy. Scared me soooo bad. She also choked on a guacamole flavored potato chip one time when she was like 3. Scared me bad.
That is scary. I'm glad that you were right there. I didn't have a chocking incident, but on where a tall narrow dresser fell on top of my 4 year old. She was climbing the drawers. Yikes! Luckily, I was right there, but like you I thought "What if I was upstairs?"
Okay, I have to tell you this. The finger sweep is one of the most dangerous things you can do when your baby is choking. Seriously. Your finger can cause the object to lodge in the throat.
I HATE choking. It is one of my biggest fears. When I was in VN with Mia, she choked on a piece of chocolate chip cookie on an airplane. I stood up, turned her upside down and smacked her back. The cookie flung out. She screamed. The attends were even frightened, and it solidified Mia's hatred for me! haha But, it got the cookie out!
Post a Comment